[cvsnt] Re: sserver not working on XP Pro

James Baxendale jrpbax at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 22:13:06 GMT 2006

The instructions on the page http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html seems to indicate with a screenshot that the ca.pem file should be set as the Certificate and Private Key file parameters and that is the site I was following.

  So are you saying that in the protocol section of the CVSNT control panel for the sserver protocol that I should clear the Private Key field or do I need to clear both fields? I tried it both ways (with only Certificate set to the one in the installation and then with neither field set) but neither change had any effect. I did shutdown the server before making these changes and then restart it each time.

  I turned on server logging to see what more information I could garner and got

  16:11:15: S -> CVS Server is acting as member of domain 'MyDomainName'
  16:11:15: S -> Client sent 'BEGIN SSL AUTH REQUEST'
  16:11:15: S -> Couldn't find a matching authentication protocol

  I looked in the event log (I assume you meant the Windows event log) but could not see anything paricularly useful. The only new message I saw there was

  E Couldn't read certificate (0): error:02001003:system library:fopen:No such process

  Were you talking about a different event log? In any case none of the suggested changes (if I understood you correctly) fixed the problem.

  Thanks,

  James

Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:
  James Baxendale wrote:
> original post. I set the Certificate file and Private Key file
> parameters in the Plugin tab of the control panel for sserver to the
> default ca.pem file that comes with the CVSNT installation.

Who told you to do this? This will not work - ca.pem is not a key file.

The installer generates & installs a key for the sserver protocol to
work on installation, and most of the time this is enough. If you want
to install your own key (eg. a verisign one) then you set the
public/private key there. You can also regenerate the selfsign key with
genkey.exe

The debug logging for sserver is quite verbose - check your event log if
you have issues.