[cvsnt] Re: Changing server to Unicode

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Mar 11 22:33:37 GMT 2006

Clovis Garcia wrote:
> Why the problem just occur when copying the old repository? When I´m
> using a fresh one, created already at the Unicode CVSNT there´s no
> problem at all (just the modules2 that I mentioned before).

The filename display isn't a property - it's a side effect of the old
client that WinCVS uses being unable to understand the server output
(Windows has no UTF8 support, it has to be built into the client - Unix
can handle it natively so even old cvshome clients can work without
changes.. you just set the locale on the command line).   You'll find
that if you checkout files you'll get the wrong filenames too.

Any client made in the last year should work more or less (you'll
probably need 2.5.03 for the fully working stuff on things like japanese
though).

Support for legacy windows clients really isn't there at all yet and is
something that'll be done before 2.6 goes stable.