[cvsnt] Re: Changing server to Unicode

Clovis Garcia clovis at phoebus.com.br
Mon Mar 13 10:27:49 GMT 2006

On 11/3/2006 19:33, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Clovis Garcia wrote:
>> Why the problem just occur when copying the old repository? When I´m
>> using a fresh one, created already at the Unicode CVSNT there´s no
>> problem at all (just the modules2 that I mentioned before).
>>
> The filename display isn't a property - it's a side effect of the old
> client that WinCVS uses being unable to understand the server output
> (Windows has no UTF8 support, it has to be built into the client - Unix
> can handle it natively so even old cvshome clients can work without
> changes.. you just set the locale on the command line).   You'll find
> that if you checkout files you'll get the wrong filenames too.
>
> Any client made in the last year should work more or less (you'll
> probably need 2.5.03 for the fully working stuff on things like japanese
> though).
>
> Support for legacy windows clients really isn't there at all yet and is
> something that'll be done before 2.6 goes stable.
>
> Tony
With the WinCVS I installed the CVSNT 2.5.03 too in my machine. It
should be using it to perform the commands, isn´t it?

WinCVS is only an interface to make it ease to use the CVS commands,
isn´t it?

When I need to run commands that are not supported at the WinCVS
interface, like the rename, I just open the command line dialog and use
it. By this I presume I´m using the correct client. Look at the output
of the cvs version command:

cvs version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2260
(client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2260
(client/server)