Fwd: [cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Authentication Issue

James McNaughton jamestheboarder at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 12 17:30:51 GMT 2006

Hi Bo,

Taking your points one at a time:

> Right here you have one stopper:
> XP-Home is unsuited to host a CVS server due to the limitations
> Microsoft has put on the networking system in that edition.

Okay, does that mean I'm wasting my time just trying to use it on a
single user laptop with myself as the sole user/client?

I am planning an XP Pro rebuild, but there is some factory install
software I need to finish a video editing project on (Adobe Premiere),
and I will lose this when I rebuild. I currently have some priority
work to do for a client who's not set up their own version control
system, and am trying to save myself some hassle in the process by
setting up CVS on my own laptop.

Next point was:

> >:pserver: installed: Yes
> >:sserver: installed: Yes
> >:gserver: installed: Yes
> >:server: installed: Yes
> >:ssh: installed: Yes
> >:sspi: installed: Yes
> >:ext: installed: Yes
>
> Do you really need all these protocols?

I don't know. I went for the typical install option, and that's what
the installer gave me. I agree that it's overkill and I probably don't
need all of them. My knowledge of networks is also pretty low (I
develop database-based software for a living), so I'm really not sure
what I do or don't need.  Obviously, I'll need :sspi for Windows.
Which of the above protocols do you think I should ditch?

> >CVS Temp directory: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
>
> Don't use this temp dir, it is a location that typically will have
> permissions issues.

Okay, I'll choose a seperate temp directory for CVSNT.

> >CA Certificate File: (no value)
> >Private Key File: (no value)
>
> If you want to use sserver you will need these.

All I want to do is to be able to connect to a CVSNT repository from a
TortoiseCVS client on the same laptop. That's it. This is a
combination of a learning exercise, and something I believe will be a
useful tool for me to use right now.

> >Local Users Only: No
>
> Incompatible with XP-Home...

So if I change the above flag to "Yes", I'll be able to use CVSNT
successfully on XP Home for a single client user on the same laptop?

> >Force run as user: J-087D0D8EDC\James
>
> Could you say why???
> Standard setting is to run as "client user", which starts out as
> system and switches to the actual user doing the cvs ops.
> Is there a reason you changed this?

Originally it was (client user). However, in the time honoured fashion
of the utterly clueless, I changed it to the "Domain\XP User"  user
when I was trying to create a module in TortoiseCVS, after this
operation failed with the (client user) CVS user. I couldn't get this
to work, and it wasn't until I had the help of Glen Starret that we
got to the point where it was found to be a CVSNT configuration issue.

Think that's everything. I would appreciate any further feedback you
could offer on my comments above.

Thanks for your help so far.

Cheers.

James