Fwd: [cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Authentication Issue

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Mar 12 19:17:30 GMT 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:30:51 +0000, "James McNaughton"
<jamestheboarder at googlemail.com> wrote:

>Hi Bo,
>
>Taking your points one at a time:
>
>> Right here you have one stopper:
>> XP-Home is unsuited to host a CVS server due to the limitations
>> Microsoft has put on the networking system in that edition.
>
>Okay, does that mean I'm wasting my time just trying to use it on a
>single user laptop with myself as the sole user/client?

I cannot say what will happen in this scenario, where there really
will be no external network access to the server. Might work and might
not. I have not used XP-Home at all, but I do know from a couple of
cases in the family what a hazzle it is to access those machinew via
the network because Microsoft decided that was not to be simple...
So putting a server for general access on XP-Home is neither
recommended nor supported. You're on your own.

>I am planning an XP Pro rebuild, but there is some factory install
>software I need to finish a video editing project on (Adobe Premiere),
>and I will lose this when I rebuild. I currently have some priority
>work to do for a client who's not set up their own version control
>system, and am trying to save myself some hassle in the process by
>setting up CVS on my own laptop.

If you are all alone, then you could just use the CVSNT client (don't
install a server) and use the :local: protocol. This will work fine in
such a case where there will never be any concurrency issues from
other users (you are on your own). The client will read/write directly
to the repository files etc...

>Next point was:
>
>> >:pserver: installed: Yes
>> >:sserver: installed: Yes
>> >:gserver: installed: Yes
>> >:server: installed: Yes
>> >:ssh: installed: Yes
>> >:sspi: installed: Yes
>> >:ext: installed: Yes
>>
>> Do you really need all these protocols?
>
>I don't know. I went for the typical install option, and that's what
>the installer gave me. I agree that it's overkill and I probably don't
>need all of them. My knowledge of networks is also pretty low (I
>develop database-based software for a living), so I'm really not sure
>what I do or don't need.  Obviously, I'll need :sspi for Windows.
>Which of the above protocols do you think I should ditch?

See above, you could uninstall the server altogeher and just use
:local:.

>> >CVS Temp directory: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
>>
>> Don't use this temp dir, it is a location that typically will have
>> permissions issues.
>
>Okay, I'll choose a seperate temp directory for CVSNT.
>
>> >CA Certificate File: (no value)
>> >Private Key File: (no value)
>>
>> If you want to use sserver you will need these.
>
>All I want to do is to be able to connect to a CVSNT repository from a
>TortoiseCVS client on the same laptop. That's it. This is a
>combination of a learning exercise, and something I believe will be a
>useful tool for me to use right now.

Tortoise is a strange product to me. I have used CVSNT command line
and WinCvs for about 5 years now, but out of curiosity I installed
Tortoise about a month and a half ago to look at it. I'm all confused
and I don't like the Tortoise paradigm one bit. I want to know when I
am working with CVS tasks by doing it from a CVS client (like WinCvs)
and when I am not I don't want it to interfere.
But Tortoise gets in the way everywhere, even when browsing the file
system in other applications (Open/Save dialogs) those wretched
Tortoise file icons clobber the GUI...

>> >Local Users Only: No
>>
>> Incompatible with XP-Home...
>
>So if I change the above flag to "Yes", I'll be able to use CVSNT
>successfully on XP Home for a single client user on the same laptop?

Use :local: without a server...

>> >Force run as user: J-087D0D8EDC\James
>>
>> Could you say why???
>> Standard setting is to run as "client user", which starts out as
>> system and switches to the actual user doing the cvs ops.
>> Is there a reason you changed this?
>
>Originally it was (client user). However, in the time honoured fashion
>of the utterly clueless, I changed it to the "Domain\XP User"  user
>when I was trying to create a module in TortoiseCVS, after this
>operation failed with the (client user) CVS user. I couldn't get this
>to work, and it wasn't until I had the help of Glen Starret that we
>got to the point where it was found to be a CVSNT configuration issue.

The Run as thing is an impersonation system where the CVSNT running as
SYSTEM switches context when processing calls from a cvs client by
doing the file operations as the "client user". This means that
repository permissions can be fine-grained using NTFS file system
permissions as well as using the built-in CVSNT ACL:s.
But this will not work in XP-Home, I believe, because of the
limitations Microsoft put on that product.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)