[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Authentication Issue

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Mar 9 20:02:03 GMT 2006

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 18:08:23 +0000, "James McNaughton"
<jamestheboarder at googlemail.com> wrote:

>Hello there,
>
>I've recently been posting an authentication issue on the TortoiseCVS
>mailing lists, when attempting to create a new module within a CVSNT
>repository from the TortoiseCVS client. Glen Starret, a member of both
>that mailing list and this CVSNT one has been helping me out a lot,
>and believes this is an issue with CVSNT rather than TortoiseCVS.
>
>For example, I opened a port to 2401 through my firewall, and have
>successfully connected to it via Telnet. I know it therefore cannot be
>a connectivity issue, as this is my port for CVSNT.
>
>Below is the output from cvsdiag.exe. Glen has taken a look and
>noticed that I'm missing the "CA Certificate File" and "Private Key
>File". Glen suspects this may be down to a problem with the CVSNT
>installer. If anyone could advise further here, then that'd be great.
>
>Finally, to give you the bigger picture, I'm running both CVSNT server
>and TortoiseCVS client on the same Windows XP Home Laptop. I am

Right here you have one stopper:
XP-Home is unsuited to host a CVS server due to the limitations
Microsoft has put on the networking system in that edition.

>running Norton Antivirus, but have disabled this. I am prepared to
>uninstall it, as I recently restored my laptop to factory default to
>send it away for a warranty repair, and am not at all impressed with
>Norton AV. I usually use Bitdefender.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>James
>

>CVSNT Diagnostic output
>-----------------------
>Server version: 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151
>OS Version: Windows XP 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 2)
>
>CVS Service installed: Yes
>LockService installed: Yes
>
>:pserver: installed: Yes
>:sserver: installed: Yes
>:gserver: installed: Yes
>:server: installed: Yes
>:ssh: installed: Yes
>:sspi: installed: Yes
>:ext: installed: Yes

Do you really need all these protocols?

>Installation Path: C:\Program Files\CVSNT\
>Repository 0 Path: C:/CVS/repository_ICALM
>Repository 0 Name: /CVS/repository_ICALM
>Repository 1 Path: (no value)
>Repository 1 Name: (no value)
>Repository 2 Path: (no value)
>Repository 2 Name: (no value)
>Repository 3 Path: (no value)
>Repository 3 Name: (no value)
>CVS Temp directory: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

Don't use this temp dir, it is a location that typically will have
permissions issues.

>CA Certificate File: (no value)
>Private Key File: (no value)

If you want to use sserver you will need these.

>Local Users Only: No

Incompatible with XP-Home...

>Default LockServer: localhost:2402
>Disable Reverse DNS: No
>Server Tracing: Yes
>Case Sensitive: No
>Server listen port: 2401
>Compatibility (Non-cvsnt clients):
>       Report old CVS version: No
>       Hide extended status: No
>       Emulate co -n bug: Yes
>       Ignore client wrappers: No
>Compatibility (CVSNT clients):
>       Report old CVS version: No
>       Hide extended status: No
>       Emulate co -n bug: No
>       Ignore client wrappers: No
>Default domain: J-087D0D8EDC
>Force run as user: J-087D0D8EDC\James

Could you say why???
Standard setting is to run as "client user", which starts out as
system and switches to the actual user doing the cvs ops.
Is there a reason you changed this?

>Temp dir readable by current user: Yes
>Repository0 readable by current user: Yes
>Temp dir writable by current user: Yes
>
>AV files detected:
>NAVAPSVC.EXE
>
>Installed Winsock protocols: