[cvsnt] Strange commit error using build 2442

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Nov 19 22:32:22 GMT 2006

I was checking a modification I have done to CVSMailer and therefore I
had edited two files in my test sandbox, one in the main module folder
and one in the subdir 'Source'.
When I committed these using WinCvs I got this strange feedback:

cvs commit -m "Testing CVSMailer" (in directory
F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleXX\)
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining NewCommon
cvs commit: Examining NewCommon/TestFolder
cvs commit: Examining TestFolder
cvs commit: Examining TestFolder5
cvs commit: Examining TestFolder6
cvs commit: Examining Testfolder2
cvs commit: Examining Testfolder4
Checking in BranchAddFile.txt;
/KORVkiosk/ModuleXX/BranchAddFile.txt,v  <--  BranchAddFile.txt
done
CVSMailer processing
CVSMailer processing consolidated messages
cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX

U C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/BranchAddFile.txt

cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/NewCommon

cvs checkout: Updating
C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/NewCommon/TestFolder

cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/Source

cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/TestFolder

cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/TestFolder3

cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/TestFolder5

cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/TestFolder6

cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/Testfolder2

cvs checkout: Updating C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX/Testfolder4

CVSMailer sending messages

cvs commit: Examining Source
cvs server: nothing known about `-m'
cvs server: nothing known about `Testing CVSMailer'
cvs server: nothing known about `--'
cvs server: Examining Source
cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
cvs ver

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.04 (Zen) Build 2442
(client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.04 (Zen) Build 2442
(client/server)

The server runs on the same XP-Pro SP2 workstation as the client.

I am using the shadow file to perform an update on a simulated website
and this is what it looks like:

ModuleXX HEAD C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleXX
ModuleBBext HEAD C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/ModuleBBext
Advance HEAD C:/DATA/USERS/CVSNT/Advance

PROBLEMS:
---------

1) For some reason it looks like cvs is *executing* the output to
STDOUT from my commit! Look at the text below "CVSMailer sending
messages"!

2) The file I have modified in the Source subdir is never committed!

3) The shadow file should get into action when the *whole* processing
is done AFAIU, but in this case it looks like it triggers directly
when the commit in the main folder is done. And after this is done the
really screwy thing with the execution of my command happens where it
should have committed the Source dir.

Why is this?

HTH

/Bo