[cvsnt] Basic CVS question

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Thu Nov 30 17:39:04 GMT 2006

Jeff Douglass wrote:
> I am not a CVS power user and have a basic question. I use Tortoise to store
> a bunch of different embedded system products SW builds. When I have a new
> product to do I start with all the source code from a previous product and
> make the required changes to different files.

Depending on the number of changes required, it sounds like you most
likely want to adopt a branching strategy instead of just copying your
sources around to different modules.  This will enable you to easily see
the differences between the 'main' and each 'custom' system, as well as
migrate updates from the 'main' to each 'custom' system much easier than
copying things around.

March Hare (I work for them) can help you get an effective configuration
management system with training and consulting as necessary.  See our
website for more information:  http://march-hare.com/cvspro/

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett