[cvsnt] Issue with modules

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Oct 18 14:18:38 BST 2006

When you work with the modules file (like we do) nthen you have to NEVER use the
switch "get directories that exist on server" because it will screw up the sandbox
like you discovered.

Instead the proper way is to do a *new checkout* of the module on top of the sandbox!

When you do a checkout of something on top of a sandbox from the same module it will
behave exactly like update with one little twist:
It will actually make sure you get everything that has been adedd after your original
checkout including new directories.

Notice that if something has been *removed* from the module definition in the modules
file no cvs command will actually delete these files/folders from your sandbox, they
will still remain.

Basically the modules file contains a specification on what to do during a checkout
operation. After the checkout the definition is never looked at again, only the metadata
in the CVS subdirs are used and these look exactly like they would look if you
had manually checked out these files including the Static file if you checked out
two single files from a module folder containing several more files.

Best regards,

Bo Berglund