[cvsnt] Strange behaviour of cvs status on a VMWare server...

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Tue Oct 24 20:42:09 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I also think that a networking problem is at large here, but I can't
> figure out what....
> It looks strange that some commands ooperate OK (cvs log or cvs status
> on a single file for example) whereas others do not (like the cvs
> status -v file1 file2 type).

Or maybe some edge condition involving IO (i.e. networking and disk IO).

> Anyways the virtual machine has a VMWare virtual network adapter and
> the IT person today tried to clean out all of the drivers for now
> nonexisting hardware. But so far it has not helped.
>
> The VMWare network adapter is connected to a virtual network switch on
> the server and the output of that is in turn connected to the physical
> network adapter on the server PC. According to the IT person the
> virtual switch is a beast to configure and whatever they do will
> affect all servers sunning on the same hardware PC, so they are
> reluctant to change the defaults....

Just depends how its been set up... probably best that each virtual server
has its own manually specified IP address; don't share the physical host's
IP address across the virtual hosts.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever