[cvsnt] Accessing repository on disaster recovery server

Brian McGuiness brian.mcguiness at ecebs.com
Thu Oct 26 14:36:09 BST 2006

I'm sending this to the list again as there were issues when sending it
the first time and i'm not sure it was received - apologies if it's a
duplicate.

We have recently moved to CVSNT from our old CVS repository and
everything seems to be working fine.

We currently back up the whole repository to a disaster recovery server
but want to make it accessible from this DR server in the event of a
disaster - e.g. the main site is gone.  Both server are running Win 2003
server.

Can anyone give us any pointers on how we would do this?  Obviously we
need to install CVSNT but i'm not as clear on whether the repository
structure will work just copied wholesale, in particular surely the
CVSROOT folder contains stuff relating to the original server and not
the DR one.  Do we just copy the module folders and crate a new CVSROOT
folder for the DR server.  What about user access rights to the modules
- the cvsuser and cvsadmin users are local to each server, will this matter.

Any help to clarify this or pointers to documentation on this would be
gratefully received.

cheers
Brian