[cvsnt] Accessing repository on disaster recovery server

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Thu Oct 26 22:12:45 BST 2006

Torsten Martinsen wrote:

> Brian McGuiness wrote:
>> Can anyone give us any pointers on how we would do this?  Obviously we
>> need to install CVSNT but i'm not as clear on whether the repository
>> structure will work just copied wholesale, in particular surely the
>> CVSROOT folder contains stuff relating to the original server and not
>> the DR one.
> Actually, it does not. Copying the entire repository, including the
> CVSROOT directory,  to another server
> running the same CVSNT version will be completely transparent to the
> users, assuming of course
> that you have set up your DNS properly.

Don't forget that it may take some time for any changes to the DNS records
to propagate (i.e. the TTL) ... and depending on how your recovery system
has been set up (hot vs cold ... real-time vs batch mirroring), and what
your disaster was, the recovery system may not be up-to-date with changes
on the original system, so you may have some reconciliation to do during
the changeover, i.e. YMMV.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever