[cvsnt] Accessing repository on disaster recovery server

Brian McGuiness brian.mcguiness at ecebs.com
Fri Oct 27 09:44:47 BST 2006

David Somers wrote:
> Torsten Martinsen wrote:
>
>> Brian McGuiness wrote:
>>> Can anyone give us any pointers on how we would do this?  Obviously we
>>> need to install CVSNT but i'm not as clear on whether the repository
>>> structure will work just copied wholesale, in particular surely the
>>> CVSROOT folder contains stuff relating to the original server and not
>>> the DR one.
>> Actually, it does not. Copying the entire repository, including the
>> CVSROOT directory,  to another server
>> running the same CVSNT version will be completely transparent to the
>> users, assuming of course
>> that you have set up your DNS properly.
>
> Don't forget that it may take some time for any changes to the DNS records
> to propagate (i.e. the TTL) ... and depending on how your recovery system
> has been set up (hot vs cold ... real-time vs batch mirroring), and what
> your disaster was, the recovery system may not be up-to-date with changes
> on the original system, so you may have some reconciliation to do during
> the changeover, i.e. YMMV.

The dr server is always online although currently the backups are only
done once per day, I understand that anything done after the last backup
and before the disaster will be lost from the repository and have to be
resubmitted by each client.  Is there a better way within CVSNT to do
this other than straight file copy?

The DR server has a different name (and is on a different domain) to the
original server - can we still just use DNS for redirecting it?

cheers
Brian