No subject

Sat Oct 7 01:09:32 BST 2006

> It's very easy.
>
> Branch
> Make changes in B
> Merge A->B
> Merge B->A
>
> If you use the merge point the changes in the second step are lost.

Note: I haven't tested this - but the only reason why this was "fixed" is
that it could lead to loss, and Tony was doing the testing at that time.

>> As always - if you want some feature in CVSNT that isn't there - you can
>> add it.
>
> At http://s17.ath.cx/tmp/cvsmergep.txt there is a patch. Use at own risk.

The correct place for patches is the dev list - please re-post there.

> Unless you want criss-cross-merges between arbitrary branches there
> isn't much design to do. With our without the patch you must be
> careful what you intend to merge between more than two branches
> (including HEAD).

If possible explain a little more about that when you post to the cvsnt-dev
list.  Whilst I'm not a fan of making things foolproof (then only a fool
will use it) - we do try to avoid adding functions that can be easily
misused.

> Instead of making cvs able to support prcesses that
> other-vcs-with-merge-arrows do easily.

The only other tool that has been mentioned on this list capable of this is
ClearCase.  Last time I checked this costs US$5000 per seat with no access
to the source code and no free version and only works on a high-speed
network (the "multi site" version costs more).  Are you proposing that March
Hare use these same economics to add this one feature?

I've already demonstrated that people are using this "feature request" as a
poor solution to a process implementation issue.  I suggest that the
solution is to use a process that works with the tool.  If CVSNT as a tool
does not support your process then use another tool - ClearCase is a great
tool (and for the price it should be).  There will come a day (quite soon)
when CVSNT eclipses ClearCase on it's ability to support a range of CM
processes, but we will only get there if people continue to contribute (as
you have with your patch, and others do by purchasing support or adding
documentation).

Regards,

Arthur