[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Sun Sep 3 17:20:39 BST 2006

Yongwei Wu wrote:
> Yes, as *the* author you must have a vision how CVSNT should evolve.
> However, I do not think it right to restrict how your users use your
> product, esp. if the issue is not something that can interfere with
> the future development of your product.

You've stated your case clearly, and gotten an answer.  It wasn't the
answer you wanted but you still have plenty of choices:

-- Use some other product that contains an equivalent function.  For
example, does the NONGNU CVS port to Win32 support --lf?  I can't tell
because it *isn't documented*.

-- Patch it yourself!  Right now it's just a warning, it shouldn't be
difficult to locate and eliminate the print statement that outputs it
and recompile.  If you lack the skill yourself, maybe you can find other
users who want the --lf option and convince them to help.

-- Develop your code under cygwin with the cygwin CVS.

-- Develop your code under a real linux/unix system with CVSNT or
whatever version you like.

-- Purchase CVS Professional and pay to have that feature modified with
a switch to suppress the warning and maintained.

Tony is trying to not expend effort on supporting buggy features that
have no use to 99% of all users out there.  There are only so many
development hours in a day, and IMHO I believe 'no' serves the overall
community better than a 'yes' in this case.

Regards,

Glen Starrett