[cvsnt] [OT] disaster recovery (was RE: Updating CVS Server)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Sep 20 20:13:58 BST 2006

>>From: David Somers
>>last time I wrote a paper on disaster recovery I scared
>>the crap out of the managers with all the scenarios I came up
>>with they
>>didn't dare show it to the clients (e.g. they forgot that
>>when your data
>>lines get severed - not uncommon when the builders are
>>digging up the road
>>outside your office - that having a separate lines coming in over a
>>different physical route suddenly doesn't sound so stupid.

When the phones went down for a week in Manchester (fire in the main
tunnel where all the telecoms routes through) the call centres with a
proper contingency plan survived - they just moved that day into a new
rented office outside the affected area and continued working.

I believe some of those without such a plan went bust.  At the very
least it cost them a weeks business (and probably not a few contracts).