[cvsnt] Command help for -n

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Aug 3 16:21:45 BST 2007

Tony Hoyle wrote (in "Re: Several questions on cvs usage"):

> Chuck Kirschman wrote:
>> "cvs -nq up" has been the time-honored way of determining which files
>> are changed in cvs.  I'm surprised that Tony desupported it.
>
> -n up hasn't worked properly for years..

Maybe you could change the option help? I get:

<P:\>118>cvs --help-options
CVS global options (specified before the command name) are:
    -H              Displays usage information for command.
[...]
    -n              Do not execute anything that will change the disk.
    -t              Show trace of program execution (repeat for more
verbosity) -- try with -n.
[...]

(Specify the --help option for a list of other help options)
<P:\>119>cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151
(client/server)
[...]

When -n isn't supported or even not fully working, the program itself
probably shouldn't tell the user to use it :)

The help for -n and -t could be:

    -n              Do not execute anything that will change the disk (only
supported with checkout).
    -t              Show trace of program execution (repeat for more
verbosity).

Gerhard