[cvsnt] Please help with moving of repositories

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu Aug 30 14:08:44 BST 2007

Chaz wrote:

> My post of 28th refers. This is a further request for someone to please
> provide me with some guidance regarding moving / re-locating of CVS and
> CVSNT repositories.
>
> I have 2 repositories on a Windows machine, using CVSNT, and one on a Linux
> machine, using CVS.
>
> I wish to transfer these repositories in their entirity, including history,
> to a new Windows-based machine on which I have installed CVSNT.
>
> Thus far I have been told that as far as CVSNT is concerned, a Windows copy
> of the repositories on the Windows source machine can be placed on the new
> machine.
>
> As far as the repository on Linux is concerned I was advised to use FTP to
> transfer the repository to the Windows machine. I tried this, but after
> completion noticed a large difference between the number of files and
> folders on the source and target.

Then there was something wrong with the ftp transfer. Maybe a permissions
issue? In any case, you need to copy those files (all of them) to the
Windows machine.

> My gut feel tells me that I would first need to create the 3 new
> repositories on the target machine,

That's correct. But you also can copy first and then set up the copied
trees as repos. AFAIK the only difference is that in the first case, you
get all the default CVSROOT files (which you then replace at least
partially with yours from the other installations).

> and then use some tool to import the 3 existing repository's contents
> into the 3 new repositories.

That "tool" is file copy, be it directly network copy or ftp or anything
else.

Discard what I wrote about merging the CVSROOTs over in the TCVS list :)
Since you want to keep the three repos separate, there's no need. But you
still may have to review and update the trigger scripts (if any). And set
up all user permissions.

One thing that could provide you with more pointers is if you would list
here the CVS(NT) versions involved (that is, all four of them).

Gerhard