[cvsnt] Cannot use WinMerge to vew revision diffs on ISOfiles...

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Dec 5 20:58:49 GMT 2007

Gerhard,

> Server side cvswrappers doesn't seem to be a good solution in any case.

Quite the opposite.  Version Control is a part of CM, which is a process that organisations generally want to enforce with server based rules.  On the 'compatibility' tab of the CVSNT server control panel there is even an option to completely ignore all client side k options - that is our recommended setting for use in a commercial software development environment.  With thousands of desktops each containing maybe 4 or 5 different GUI tools (Eclipse 3, Eclipse 2, TCVS, WinCVS, JDeveloper, Visual Studio etc etc) each with a different set of file-extension to file-type  mappings it's impossible to get a reliable repository.

We did do some experimentation with determining mime types of files based on analysis of the file at import/add - but I think we didn't find it too useful (Tony may remember more on that).

If in some parts of the organisation .iso files are text and in others they are binary then just use two repositories, one with a cvswrappers of iso=ko and the other with iso=kb.

If you really want to switch off the server side cvswrappers altogether then the existing syntax certainly allows that.

Regards,

Arthur