[cvsnt] Forcing binary behavior

Jim Hyslop jimh at view22.com
Thu Feb 15 22:02:37 GMT 2007

[note: restoring CVSNT mail list]

Nicholas Duane wrote:
> I don't want to be able to get the exact copies of what we
> released and therefore I'm storing these files in cvs.
I'm going to assume you meant to write "I want to..."

Well, on the one hand, it is rather wasteful to store the binaries for
all the versions, rather than just the released version. But on the
other hand, disk storage is cheap these days. Yours is not a route I'd
take.

> That's right, a map file is text, but I don't want it treated
> as text.  I have to believe there is overhead in storing it
> as text and since I don't want any of the features you get
> from storing it as text I was hoping I could turn it off.
There is overhead in storing it either way. In the worst case scenario,
a binary file may have to store entire copies of the file - which is far
more overhead than a text file.

You raise an interesting point, though, which maybe Arthur or one of the
others from March Hare can comment on: which algorithm is more efficient
at storing text files, the standard RCS diff or the binary algorithm
CVSNT uses?

--
Jim