[cvsnt] Connection reset by Peer

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Wed Jan 10 09:56:47 GMT 2007

Sumanjit Kaur Brar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are facing this problem quite often :
> cvs [update aborted]: recv() from server 10.91.200.2: Connection reset by
> peer

So you refer to your servers by dotted-IP addresses rather than by
hostname... sigh.

> Is there any config file or some other setting in CVSNT from where we can
> control the number of concurrent users.

Since cvsnt works via xinetd, you can do something like that if you modify
the various configuration files related to xinetd. (But see my next
paragraph for why this won't really restrict things).

> It has been observed that whenever
> this problem comes it is always with the increase in number of cvs users.

The number of users doesn't really equate to how how many instances of cvsnt
are running on the server, since an instance is only ran when a connection
is made from a client, and those connections are not persistent (i.e. they
are only made when the client does something which needs interaction with
the server).

I'd say the problem is something else, since the connection is being reset
rather than just not happening... when things go wrong, run the cvs
commands using trace (i.e. cvs -ttt .....) and see what the diagnostic
messages say.

--
David Somers - typographer/programmer/whatever
Random (and sometimes useful) stuff blogged at http://www.omz13.com