[cvsnt] Mergepoint issues on 2.5.0.3 b2382

Tony Eva teva at Airspan.com
Wed Jan 10 10:49:50 GMT 2007

Andy Harrison wrote:

> [ snip ]
> Any suggestions as to how to fix this will be gratefully
> received. We are working round it for now by specifying two
> -j points on the update merge, however mergepoint functionality
> was one of the  reasons we use CVS, so we would be very
> disappointed to lose this.

Looks like you're treading the same path we've already been down.  If
you look in the mailing list archives at the thread starting at
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2006-June/025200.html
(unfortunately the threading is broken, since I was posting via Outlook,
but just follow the subject through June and July), I think you are
experiencing exactly the same problem that we were.

There was no satisfactory resolution in that case -- basically, the
mergepoint capability seems to be designed for simple one-way merges
only, and any attempt to use it for two-way merging (i.e. back and forth
between two branches, or one branch and HEAD) will fail.  If you are
used to Clearcase's merging capabilities, and were hoping that
mergepoints would provide something similar, then forget it.

In the end, we changed our process to work around this limitation, and
now use the 'update -j<dest> -j<source>' command to achieve the final
merge back to HEAD (or wherever).  This works pretty well.