[cvsnt] cvs to cvsnt headache

Ian Douglas idouglas at creativeproductions.com
Thu Jan 11 18:58:13 GMT 2007

Hi all,

Using RHEL 4, and trying in vain to get cvsnt to map directly over cvs. I
installed the latest stable version from RPM (cvsnt-2.5.03.2382-1.i386.rpm).
I have cvslockd running, and cvsnt is running via xinetd.

However, when I log in as a regular user via SSH, the following CVSROOT
environment gets set:

CVSROOT=:pserver:$USER at localhost:/home/cvs

... which under plain ol' cvs was working just fine. Now that CVSNT is
installed, any cvs command results in this:

[iand at server tmp]$ cvs co mymodule
cvs [checkout aborted]: /home/cvs: no such repository

... But if I force the respository base directory:

[iand at server tmp]$ cvs -d /home/cvs co mymodule
cvs checkout: Updating mymodule
cvs checkout: Updating mymodule/ianwashere.txt

... It works just fine.

The reason I 'upgraded' to CVSNT was because we primarily have our
development team using Windows, but have the CVS repository on this linux
box. However, connecting from our Windows systems is causing the same error.
When connecting via TortoiseCVS, I still get the same error about no
repository being available, and obviously I cannot pass an extra -d
parameter to work around it. In fact, I thought that with
:pserver:username at hostname:/home/cvs that the /home/cvs portion *was*
specifying the repository root, but I guess I'm wrong?

I'd appreciate any direction. This was supposed to be my last day at this
job but my employer has requested I stay on one extra day to ensure this CVS
transition is smooth.

As an aside, I also find it somewhat perplexing that CVSNT is given away as
freeware to encourage people to upgrade from plain old CVS, but force us to
pay for the book on how to do a successful migration when the FAQ and Wiki
pages don't describe how to migrate to let us look up the information on our
own. The FAQ says that CVSNT is a drop-in replacement, but so far it's been
anything but.

-id