[cvsnt] Just-inTime Debugger error on cvs.exe

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Wed Jan 24 18:15:41 GMT 2007

I think "716" is the process ID, so yes, that would change.

There aren't any other messages in the event log reporting what the
exception was?

> Is CVS causing this to happen or is there
> something elese on the machine interfering?

An unhandled exception is an error.  It could be caused by some
non-CVSNT code that cvs.exe invokes, or it could be in CVSNT.

But why is just-in-time debugging enabled on a server in the first
place?  JIT debugging is inherently an interactive operation, and the
conceptual distinction between "server" and "workstation" is that the
former runs unattended.  Obviously in practice that's not always
observed, and Microsoft's branding of OS releases as "server" and
"workstation" confuses the issue, but if this machine is actually a
server - if it's running critical processes without a user sitting in
front of it - then you don't want to enable features that pop up dialogs
looking for user intervention.

What you want is a system unhandled-exception handler that doesn't
require user intervention, such as Dr Watson.  You can make Dr Watson
the handler by running "drwtsn32 -i".  For more information, run
drwtsn32 and read the help.  There's also Microsoft KB article KB308538,
but it contains basically no useful information.

When you get a Dr Watson log, that should help track down the bug.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus