[cvsnt] readonly checkouts (permissions in .v file not 666)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Jul 16 00:17:50 BST 2007

Chuck Kirschman wrote:
> With all due respect, I have seen the same behavior as Gerd.  The only
> way I found to fix it was to edit the repository files and reset the
> permissions.  I have yet to figure out what causes it.  It generally
> doesn't seem to reappear.

Read only files are not caused by the permissions lines though.  They
can get screwed up on Windows (I think there are apps out there that
store their data in the same data stream as cygwin uses for its
permissions so it confuses the server, but never been able to pin it
down to a specific application) but it's largely irrelevant - the read
only status of a file is determined by things like exclusive edits and
watches.  The only reason cvsnt stores all the bits is the permissions
code in the old cvs did it that way, and it seemed easier to reuse the
standard.

evs only stores the executable status (and even then only on unix) so it
doesn't cause any confusion.