[cvsnt] what is the command to find the list of the files changed in a check-in

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sat Jul 21 15:00:21 BST 2007

Tom wrote:

> There are lots of "cvs commit" made before, and I want to find out which
> files are affected (or changed) in a particular "cvs commit" happened
> before.
> It's very important to know the changes made to the project on the "commit"
> basis.
> For example:
> 1. make some changes to the files
> 2. cvs ci -m "check in one"
> 3. make some other changes to the files
> 4. cvs ci -m "check in two"
> Now, after step 4, I found something wrong in the code, I would like look
> back and find out which files I changed in the "cvs ci" command in step 2.

Ah, that's different -- I in fact didn't get what you wanted the first time
:)

I think the "precise" method would be to use the commit id. AFAIK cvsnt
assigns a unique commit id to every commit. But also AFAIK, this is only
available server-side, to commit support scripts and in the audit database.
So if you have control over the server and can give yourself (possibly
read-only) access to the audit database, you can run a SQL query or two and
retrieve that information.

I could do that, but I don't :)  Just laziness, I guess, and it's rare
enough so I don't have this tried yet. What I do is I look at the revision
history of one of the files in that change set (the question usually starts
to pop up based on a file I'm looking at), and that gets me the date/time
of that particular commit. Then I can run my diffs with date/time selectors
(one just before, one just after).
<http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/diff.html>

Gerhard