[cvsnt] Rename - what am I doing wrong?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Jul 24 19:18:33 BST 2007

Arthur Barrett wrote:

>>> week and they all work for me.  Are you using the latest (2382) stable?
>>
>> No, 2151. Is that relevant?
>
> Possibly - try 2382.

Ok, will do.

>> <P:\1\2\Docs>62>cvs log SimpleAlarm-Design.doc
>
> I thought it was Simple-Design.doc:
> cvs ren Design.doc Simple-Design.doc

Yes. When I ran this command, it renamed Design.doc into Simple-Design.doc.
It does so whenever I run the command on a fresh checkout. But it never
seems to commit anything.

>> RCS file: /projects/1/2/Docs/SimpleAlarm-Design.doc,v
>> Working file: SimpleAlarm-Design.doc
>> head: 1.4
>> branch:
>> locks: strict
>> access list:
>> symbolic names:
>> keyword substitution: b
>> total revisions: 4;     selected revisions: 4
>> ----------------------------
>> revision 1.4
>> date: 2007/07/02 01:38:00;  author: gfiedler;  state: Exp;
>> lines: +75 -55;
>> kopt: b;  commitid: 404468856f56885;  filename: Design.doc;
>
> Looks like it was Design.doc and is not SimpleAlarm-Design.doc.

Exactly.

> And you say when you checkout this into a clean sandbox it checks out as
> Design.doc?

Yes. No commit I tried did the directory commit. (When the rename works,
the commit adds a revision tag to the directory. At least TortoiseCVS
displays such a revision tag -- I don't know how to see this directory tag
with the command line tools.)

> The only differece with this and my test is I used an internal commercial
> build and I used a text file not a binary file.

I have used the rename command on binaries before with success. In the same
manner, in the same repository/sandbox, with the same version...

Gerhard