[cvsnt] Can't init repository

Mark Spacw markspace at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 25 03:52:39 BST 2007

Arthur Barrett wrote:
> Mark,
>
>> Not working.  It looks like CVSNT just doesn't work under
>> Vista. There's
>
> I do not remember you mentioning Vista in the original e-mail.  Vista

But I did!  Check it and see!  :)

> required CVSNT 2.5.04, look in cvsnt.org/archive for the most recent
> 2.5.04 build.  Note: some users have complained that the control panel
> for 2.5.04 does not work in Vista, but it works OK on our test machine,
> so if you still have the problem after upgrading to 2.5.04 please
> contact us again.

I installed cvsnt-2.5.04.2471 and cvsnt-server-s.5.04.2471 (at the same
time, on top of one another).  There is still no control panel widget,
and the "control panel" item on the program menu doesn't run.  (It
doesn't produce any error message, just no output or window at all).

> Finally, you can also run the init command from the command line - but
> you must have elevated permissions ( in vista even the administrator
> cannot modify the "local machine" registry).  If you create a shortcut
> on your desktop and put the init command in that, and set the shortcut
> to "run with full priv" (or something to that effect, I don't use Vista
> on a day to day bsis yet).

This actually did work.  Thanks!  Unfortunately, I still can't connect
via pserver, but that might be a config problem.  I noticed I did have
two CVSNT services running.  These might be interfering with the manual
command too I suppose.  I'll try to track it down. (There's definitely
something listening on port 2401 because I can get error messages with
telnet there.)

Anyway, partial success.  I'll keep plugging away at it from this end.
If there's any testing I can do with the control panel widget, let me know.

(P.S. The command for running with full privileges is "Run as
Administrator".)