[cvsnt] Undo Commit?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jun 15 17:10:49 BST 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:55:59 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> 2) When one stores binaries (like we do), the principle is that
>> normally only tagged releases should be committed. But this tends to
>> be forgotten and a large number of intermediate unusable binaries (exe
>> file for instance) get committed. THis in turn leads to the RCS file
>> growing to a very large size on the server, which then leads to the
>> slowing down of cvs operations on that module.
>
>It won't slow down cvs provided you're mostly on the trunk - the rcs
>file is stored in reverse order so it's always faster to get newer
>revisions than older ones (and always very fast to get HEAD).
>Potentially if you were on a long lived branch and committed a lot of
>binaries it could get slow but it's not that bad in practice.
>
>The biggest slowdown is when you have hundreds of tags.. they're stored
>at the top and have to be read first.

Well, we do that too, the files I am talking about are binaries (exe
files) that have lived in CVS for about 4 years now. The exe itself is
about 8 Mb (it was smaller in the past) and it gets tagged for each
release and branch we make. I would think it could have more than 100
tags by now. But since the number of revisions is so high (several
hundred) the RCS file has grown to a size of several hundred megabytes
and it is my experience thta whenever a cvs operation involves this
file it slows down considerably. Worst I think is tagging the file for
some reason.

And we do not use binary deltas, we use plain old binary.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)