[cvsnt] Edit in offline mode

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Jun 22 15:56:45 BST 2007

Peter Geraghty wrote:
> Having just switched to cvsnt from a different cvs client I immediately
> ran into the problem that I can no longer edit or unedit when offline. I
> found this discussed and dismissed 4 years ago.

It's simply impossible to do edit offline.  You might not be logged in
read/write, the ACL on the file may forbid writing, someone else may
have the file edited in exclusive mode.  You also have to notify others
that you are editing the file.  And your edit attempt must be audited.

> As a user who is mostly offline the fact that edit creates a local copy
> thus allowing a comparison of changes whilst offline, as well as ability
> to unedit if necessary, is VERY valuable.  This behaviour people are
> asking for is only what it says in cederqvist...

The copy is a side effect (even an optional one, since the server knows
the original revision & the client doesn't use it beyond trying to keep
it up to date across updates).

> IMO you gave the original emailer the bum's rush. And I expect no
> better.  But if you're trying to keep track of what people think on this
> issue, please note that offline working still happens.

We listen to all queries, but the ability to have comprehensive
auditing, exclusive edits and access control policies is *far* more
requested than offline editing (which hasn't been mentioned in 4 years,
as you note).

If you want to work offline do the edit before going offline - thus
informing your teammates that you are editing the file and (optionally)
preventing them from making changes during that time.