[cvsnt] cvs export/checkout with tag

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Mar 13 16:33:14 GMT 2007

Cannot confirm the erroneous export of files matching HEAD.
Which CVSNT version are you using?

I did the following test in an empty dir:

set CVSROOT=:sspi:cvsserver:/REPO
cvs export -r TagExistingElsewhere MyModule

This resulted in a long wait and then nothing was exported (as
expected).
When I repeated the same command it finished very quickly. Looks like
whatever was done during the long wait was cached by CVS.

Then I changed to:
cvs export -r TagNotExistingAnywhere MyModule

The result was (after almost 2 minutes!):

cvs [export aborted]: no such tag TagNotExistingAnywhere

I have to agree with Frans that this is very strange indeed even though
my result is not like his in that I don't get any exported files at all.

But the logic seems flawed anyway, why should CVSNT scan the whole
repository for the supplied tag?
It seems much more logical to check the requested module for the tag
during the export of the files in the module that match the call.

It serves absolutely no purpose to look in all other zillions of files
located outside the requested module for the existence of the requested
tag....

Why not simply go in and export the files on the requested tag and if a
file does not carry the tag then *skip* it?????

It looks like that is exactly what is done *after* the repository-global
tag-search provided:
1) CVSNT finds the tag somewhere else in the repository
2) No file in the requested module carries that tag.

If the tag search is failed then there is a cvs error message instead of
just a no-op....

My tests were done on CVSNT 2.5.03.2382 on a Win2003 server.

Best regards,

Bo Berglund