[cvsnt] Start application after commiting a file

Nuno Rocha nuno.a.rocha at gmail.com
Fri May 25 16:14:27 BST 2007

Hi all,

I've been reading the CVSNT manual but could not understand (I'm a noob in
this CVS script things...) how to start an application after commiting a
file so a little help would be welcome...

For what I've read, this is accomplished through a "notify" file with some
options on it...

These are my questions:

  1 - I want to analyse (parse, for example) the file that was commited. To
do this, I thought of launching a Java application that will pass the
filename for a webservice running in my web application server. After that,
a cvs checkout command will be run so that I download the just commited file
and process it. I want every commit to trigger this behaviour, no matter
what user commited the file, after the command is completed. Do you think
this is possible with this approach?

 2 - Where is the "notify" file supposed to be put? I want to "monitor" only
a specific module (and its sub-modules), so the file is going to CVSNTROOT
or to the module I want to watch?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Nuno