[cvsnt] Lockserver Issue

Gerard McGovern gmcgovern at ruralco.com.au
Thu Nov 1 23:48:34 GMT 2007

Hi Mailing List,

I inherited a CVS site that uses Tortoise and am having a problem
introducing a new Tortoise client.

The original setup consisted of a server on our local network serving as
the cvsroot (the repository) and 2 Tortoise clients. I don't have any
further information on how it was setup.

I have downloaded and installed Tortoise on a third client. Then no matter
what I try I get the message that it cannot connect to the lockserver. The
full text of the message is as follows:

In C:\javaprojects\iinet: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" -q -N diff
-u -r 1.2 IINet.html
CVSROOT=:local://nw-syd1/vol1/home/minet/cvsroot

cvs diff: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: No connection could
be made because the target machine actively refused it.
cvs [diff aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server

Error, CVS operation failed

As far as I can determine the setup of the new client is the same as the
setup of the existing clients, and exactly the same commands work on the
existing clients.

I have a good clue to the problem. At
            http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2005-September/021228.html
discussing someone else's problem they say:

The server it is trying to connect to is the *lockserver* service.
This is a part of CVSNT that is obviously not running since you don't
run a CVS server either. For local access obviously it must not be
used. But for this to happen it must be configured in the
CVSROOT/config file *not* to use the lockserver in this case.
You have to edit the proper entry there to switch to file based locks.

It seems that the Tortoise client is trying to access the lockmanager
locally, whereas there is no local lockmanager.

So my problem is how exactly do I tell the Tortoise client not to try to
use the lock manager, but to use the file locks instead.

 I cannot find any local settings to do this. In fact the only local
settings I can seem to find is for the cvsroot, and not much else - e.g. I
cannot find a server address for a server that the Tortoise client must be
using.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Gerard McGovern
Sydney

      Disclaimer:
      This correspondence is for the named person's use only.  It may
      contain confidential or legally privileged information or both.  No
      confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
      mistransmission.  If you receive this correspondence in error, please
      immediately delete it together with any attachments from your system
      and notify the sender.  You must not disclose, copy or rely on any
      part of this correspondence if you are not the intended recipient.
      Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual
      sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states
      them to be the opinions of Ruralco Holdings Limited or any of its
      subsidiaries (collectively "Ruralco").
      Although all care has been taken to screen this communication for
      viruses, neither the sender nor Ruralco warrants that any
      communication via the Internet is free of errors, viruses,
      interception or interference.  Information is distributed without
      warranties of any kind.