[cvsnt] CVSNT Rename support in a GUI?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 4 13:31:25 GMT 2007

>> weeks, or closer to 6-8 months?  Like I said, I'm getting
>
>We've had a lot of "milestones" but I'm not confident to name a stable
>timeframe publicly - but we do have it set internally.

Can you at least give a hint?  Are we looking at Q1, Q2, Q3?  If nothing
else, it would give the public confidence that you are working towards a
definite goal, rather than just "hopefully soon".  I realize entirely how
difficult it is to make these predictions, and then be held accountable for
them, but at least a general ball-park idea would help us figure out things
as well.  For example, if I think there is reason to believe that something
would be ready for Q1, I would be able to easily use that as arguments
against moving to SVN.  However, if the timeline is Q4, I would have to find
other arguments to use instead.

> Also the
>"migration" scripts from CVSNT to EVS will be one of the last things to
>happen - so we're really discouraging migration until we're sure it's
>ready.  If you want to help - download a test release and do some
>testing.

I would love to help with the testing of EVS, but unfortunately, the only
way I can really test this out would be to use it with a real project.  And
in a team/production environment, it makes it difficult, especially if there
isn't a way for me to import my stuff from CVSNT to EVS.  All my current
development work is on an existing source code base.

>Renaming in CVSNT is fine - it just wont handle "moves" - but there are
>other ways to handle this (eg: just move the RCS file).

Really??  I'm pretty sure that I have "moved" files in CVSNT using the
rename command in the past, and if recollection serves, it worked fine.  The
problem with moving RCS files, is that I lose all history for prior builds,
and it doesn't allow for me to move files around in branches without affect
the trunk or any other branches.  And my knowledge of cvs and rcs files is
limited enough that I would know how I could copy the rcs file to a new
place in the branch so as to retain the history for the file, and delete it
from cvs in it's original location such that in the branch (and only the
branch), the file would show up in the new location and not in the old.
don't even know if that is possible; especially at the directory level.

>EVS is compatible with a range of legacy technologies (eg: cvsnt
>clients), so you will not need an "EVS client" (except for features that
>other clients do not support).  Initially I'd encourage you to do things
>like EVS rename with the command line.

Ironically, that's exactly the issue I'm trying to resolve in CVS ... I'm
looking for a GUI implementation of move / rename. :)

Thanks!

Eric