[cvsnt] Migrating CVS repository from CVSNT to Unix - CRLF issues

Kevin Tapperson kevin at tapperson.net
Thu Oct 18 20:23:30 BST 2007

Hi, I am attempting to migrate an existing CVS repository from CVSNT
2.5.03on Windows to CVS
1.11.2 on Linux.

Here are the steps that I took to do this migration:
1. zipped up the current CVS repository on Windows (c:\cvs\myproject\*)
2. ftp'd the file to the Linux host
3. unzipped the repository into the cvs root there (/opt/app/cvs/myproject)

Everything appears to work fine with this approach, except for the binary
files in my repository.  If I check out a new copy of the repository, the
binary files come back with CRLF's where they should only have LFs.  This is
causing considerable trouble with the .jar files in the repository.

This, however, only appears to be a problem when connecting to the
repository from a Windows client.  If I checkout the files from a unix-based
client, the CRLF translation doesn't happen.

Has anyone had any success with this type of migration before?  Any
suggestions or ideas on things to try?  Unfortunately, the destination Linux
machine must run CVS 1.11.2, so changing it to run a flavor of CVSNT is not
an option.

Thanks,
Kevin