[cvsnt] Access Control Lists and error messages

Torsten Martinsen tma at gatehouse.dk
Fri Oct 26 10:27:50 BST 2007

When we close a branch, we would like to prevent accidental commits to the branch, and thought that setting 'chacl -a nowrite' would be a good solution.

There is a snag, however: If you do e.g.

        cvs commit buildnum.h

you get

        cvs server: User aisbuild2 is unable to write to ./buildnum.h on branch/tag GH-AIS-SPRINT_14-branch - ignoring

which is fine, but if you do

        cvs -q commit buildnum.h

(which is the default setup when using TortoiseCVS), the user receives no indication that the commit was in fact not performed. Our fear is that this will result in users believing that they have committed their files successfully.

Is there any special reason that this situation is treated only as a warning?

-Torsten

This e-mail and any files sent with it contain information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the GateHouse Group. This information is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use the message or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete all copies of this message. In accordance with GateHouse Security Policy, e-mails sent or received may be monitored.