[cvsnt] CVSNT 2.5.04.2682

Jurko Gospodnetic' mangled at to.avoid.spam
Sun Oct 28 14:59:25 GMT 2007

   Hi Tony.

> The easiest fix is just to make add the apostrophe to the blacklist.
> It's not exactly been a major problem (I remember you mentioning it once
> but nobody else has so it's not a common thing to want to put in a
> filename).

   We use CVSNT as a 'low level tool' used for keeping all sorts of
different data under source control and I would expect low level tools
such as OS commands, CVSNT or grep to 'just work' with any file I give them.

   This includes data controlled by external parties and other
programs/programmers may freely assume that any file name acceptable by
an OS is a valid file name and if we place those files under our CVSNT
based source control such things will break. Note that we can always
complicate our source control procedures to run all files through a
script of our own and rename where need but we as CVSNT users would
rather not have to jump through hoops like that.

   Files and folders with spaces now work correctly, so why should an
apostrophe be any different? Ok, OS/file-system may have some rules as
to which file names are acceptable but I do not believe anything above
them should change their rules.

   Just my 2 cents worth...

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetic'