[cvsnt] cvs commands hang

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Sep 7 18:47:54 BST 2007

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 20:23:02 +0530, "Rajesh Deshpande"
<radhx at rediffmail.com> wrote:

>My setup is as follows:
>
>I have installed CVSNT and WinCVS on my laptop (WinXP Pro SP2) which has
>network adapter IP 192.168.0.2 and primary DNS as 192.168.0.1 which is a
>desktop machine (Win98 SE) having internet access. I am using Internet
>Connection Sharing on laptop to connect to internet via desktop machine.
>
>Only when the laptop is connected to network, CVSNT works without hanging
>(even with both Firewall and Antivirus services active). If I disconnect
>from the network, CVSNT hangs.
>
>How can I solve this problem? Can't I use CVSNT on laptop when it is not
>connected to network (which it is most of the time)?

When you have an XP machine and you do not connect your network cable,
then Windows brings down the TCP/IP networking completely!
CVS is a service that uses TCP/IP so it cannot run in that situation.

In such cases if you install the Microsoft Loopback adapter Windows
will keep TCP/IP running and you can run even when the cable is not
connected.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)