[cvsnt] cvs commands hang

Prochazka, Jan Jan.Prochazka at brooks.com
Fri Sep 7 19:19:24 BST 2007

> When you have an XP machine and you do not connect your
> network cable, then Windows brings down the TCP/IP networking
> completely!
> CVS is a service that uses TCP/IP so it cannot run in that situation.

DWORD registry value:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DisableDHCPMedia
Sense
set to 1

prevents Windows XP from destroying TCP/IP stack of unplugged adapter.
Local adapter(s) remain(s) pingable etc. However I would recommended to
use that on computers with static IP address(es) only. See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/rege
ntry/94173.mspx

JP