[cvsnt] protocol ssh - switch from cvs 1.12 to CVSNT

Stefan Bertels post at stefan-bertels.de
Mon Sep 24 17:39:23 BST 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Arthur Barrett wrote:
> The client environment variable CVS_SERVER (or is it CVSSERVER..?.) is
> what defines which binary is used on the server, so if you have cvs 1.12
> installed in /usr/bin/cvs and CVSNT server installed in /usr/local/bin
> then setting CVS_SERVER=/usr/local/bin/cvs on the *client* before
> connecting to the server should tell the server to use CVSNT not CVS...

Thanks for this hint.

> However:
> 1) CVSNT can use a CVS repository, but not vice-versa, once a change is
> written to the RCS files CVS will no longer be able to use it

Valuable hint, thanks.

> 2) sharing a single sandbox betweek linux and windows users is not
> recommended, eg: if it was checked out on linux (LF) then a windows
> programs adds CR then it is committed the result will be a mess.

Clients are all Windows and they all use CVSNT.

> 3) CVSNT Server has additional configuration files you will need to
> configure before you can use it (/etc/cvsnt/Pserver).

The original question was related to this: Can I use "ssh" protocol for
CVSNT server with Linux? I could only find information about ssh on
Windows. And can I use the existing CVSROOT config vars?

":ssh;hostname=myserver;username=stefan:/cvsrepo"
":ssh;hostname=myserver;:/cvsrepo"

With kind regards
Stefan