[cvsnt] protocol ssh - switch from cvs 1.12 to CVSNT

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Sep 25 05:06:54 BST 2007

Stefan,

> The original question was related to this: Can I use "ssh" protocol for
> CVSNT server with Linux? I could only find information about ssh on
> Windows. And can I use the existing CVSROOT config vars?

SSH for CVSNT works just like CVS does, but to switch between two different
server insalls you need to use the env var CVS_SERVER.  BTW it is NOT
possible to use ssh on a CVSNT server on windows without opening security
holes in the windows server, so windows CVSNT servers tend to use sspi or
sserver protocols.

> ":ssh;hostname=myserver;username=stefan:/cvsrepo"
> ":ssh;hostname=myserver;:/cvsrepo"

These look like they've been generated by WinCVS.  The correct format is:
:ssh:username at hostname:/cvsrepo

The CVSNT client accepts either format - since it is the server you are
changing and not the client these are irrelevant (they are used by the
client not the server).

Regards,

Arthur