[cvsnt] Windows resource files getting corrupted.

Chuck Kirschman Chuck.Kirschman at Nosp_am.bentley.com
Tue Apr 22 14:46:43 BST 2008

Sumanjit Kaur Brar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have started facing this problem all of a sudden. The .rc files on windows are getting corrupted automatically on the CVSNT server(2.5.03). Some of the content of the file gets duplicated even without any change into that specific file. Can anyone please help.
>
> Regards,
> Suman Brar
> Ext : 9878
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> This e-mail transmission and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages appended or attached to it, may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or use of the information contained or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone (+91.172.2299878) or return e-mail message (< mailto:sbrar at quark.com>) and delete the original transmission, its attachments, and any copies without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you

One case where I've seen this is if the file being committed has a mix
of \r and \r\n characters.  So far I've only seen it on Unicode XML
files (-ku), not on rc files, but if I understand the mechanism
correctly it could affect them.  What seems to happen is that only the
\r\n's are counted as lines on the way in, and all \r\n's are converted
to \r's.  However, when trying to extract the file all \r's are
converted to \r\n's, so there are too many lines now and things go bad
in a hurry and all previous revisions are corrupt due to the
reverse-delta.

My solution was to go to tape backups and bring out the last valid file,
and have the developer fix the newlines before committing them.

HTH
chuck