[cvsnt] Windows resource files getting corrupted.

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Apr 24 00:26:13 BST 2008

Chuck Kirschman wrote:

> One case where I've seen this is if the file being committed has a mix
> of \r and \r\n characters.

That can't happen at all on cvsnt - it has safeguards on both the client
and server to avoid problems caused by mixed line endings.

On the old cvs it was a major problem, especially when people shared
sandboxes or used cygwin cvs at the same time as a windows editor.  It's
one of the reasons we strongly advise not doing either of these things,
even now.

A resource file is just a text file.. there's nothing special about it
so if it was a server problem you'd see it on source files as well - it
sounds like there's something else happening on the clients.  The only
scenario I can think of is something modifying the resource files
without modifying the timestamp - which would either require a
termninally broken resource editor or trying to use a network share with
  the sandbox that doesn't record timestamps properly.