[cvsnt] Erroneously triggered temporary unedit watches

Alf Pearce alfp at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 20 06:17:10 BST 2008

Arthur,

Thanks for your quick response.

A test using TortoiseCVS 1.10.7 in conjunction with CVSNT 2.5.04 (build 3125) yields the same result. That is, releasing a read-only file for which no "cvs edit" request had been issued results in the triggering of the temporary unedit watch on the file for another user.

This behaviour did not seem to occur when using TortoiseCVS 1.8.29 with CVSNT 2.5.03 (build 2260). However, on further investigation I discovered that the people using the older version of TortoiseCVS had all failed to put a valid .forward file into their home directory on our unix CVS server. Essentially, the older version does have the same behaviour, but for these users the emails from the triggered unedit watches were never delivered, thus making it look like different behaviour.

I would still like to know if I can prevent the triggering of temporary unedit watches when the CVSNT client is used to release a file that has not been edited. These temporary watches do not get triggered when such a file is released from a working directory on one of our unix machines (using the unix client/server implementation of CVS rather than CVSNT). Do you know if this can be achieved with CVSNT?

Alf.

--
Alf Pearce
Student System Project              Telephone: (03) 8344 2826
The University of Melbourne             Email: alfp at unimelb.edu.au
Disclaimer: <http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~alfp/disclaimer/>