[cvsnt] CVSNT slow response with multiple users

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Jan 29 13:05:53 GMT 2008

Alexey Panchenko wrote:
> Probably this is caused by locking. Are you using lockserver?
>
> You can connect to it using any telnet client and execute commands:
> - Monitor
> - Locks
> to list active locks.

I'm not sure those commands work any more, but it's worth a try -
monitor slows things down a lot though.

> Each new lock request is iterating over all previous locks linearly
> and if you have many files and many simultaneous users - that could be
> the bottleneck.

You'd have to have a *lot* of locks before that would be significant,
and you only get those kind of numbers on large numbers of commits
(which have to wait for each other anyway).

For an update/checkout you typically have one lock per user active at
any one time.

I'd suspect something happening at the network layer - the machine isn't
under load at all so the process isn't really doing anything.   Might be
worth uninstalling the AV as a test (merely disabling AV normally
doesn't work due to the way they interact with the system).  Also any
onboard firewalls.