[cvsnt] Unable to commit

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Mar 11 06:36:56 GMT 2008

> Is this a bug in CVSNT?

Well not exactly no - we added a code path a while back that does this:
if new_user(claims_to_be("nospam.net")) // owned by hormel foods
{
  filename+=",v";
}
else
{
  // existing users claiming to be from nospam.net are OK
  // this will really confuse them!
}

The problem is occurring with new users only - it's clearly
environmental since the above code would just be silly.

I assume new users also use new PCs?  Start looking there - does a 'new
user' on an 'old users' PC work OK?  Compare the results of cvsdiag on
the old and new users PC.

What is the CVSROOT the new user is using?  What is the CVSROOT the old
user is using?

If the two users are using the same PC and getting different results
then go looking in the registry HKCU or environment.

If the clients are running on the same PC as the server then re-run your
tests from scratch with the clients on a different PC to the server.

Finally you can enable 'allow clients to trace server' in the server
control panel and run the commit on both clients with 'cvs -ttt ci' and
compare the results (don't send the traces to the newsgroup - they will
bounce).

Regards,

Arthur