[cvsnt] cvs login should only work with PSERVER (was: Trouble remotely checking out files from the CVS server)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Mar 22 20:25:27 GMT 2008

Arthur Barrett wrote:

> cvs login should only work with PSERVER - it was only ever intended to
> be a
> pserver function.  Using it with SSPI and SSH is unnecessary and can
> lead to
> security problems.

News to me... It's needed for SSPI over VPN where you don't have direct
access to the domain, and the use with SSH is precisely because using
certificates is such a pain in the neck (and hard to explain for a lot
of people).  That's why login is designed to be multiprotocol from the
start.

IMO if the local machine is compromised you're hosed anyway.. someone
can just install a keylogger/compromised client/whatever.  If it isn't,
the registry is good enough.

On Unix the same is true - SSH trusts the local directory enough to be
able to store authentication certificates in it... and those have the
ability achieve passwordless login.

 > user (which perhaps ought to be restricted somewhat anyway) and for SSH
 > it has
 > no benefit at all (CVSNTAGENT should be used).

Cvsagent is unrelated to SSH.  It's simply a temporary reposotory of
passwords - it works fine with pserver too.

By all means recommend people use the agent.. but removing the login
functionality is going to kill the usage for a lot of people...
including me!