[cvsnt] Run Eclipse formatter on check in

Nick Radov nradov at axolotl.com
Sun Mar 23 19:04:32 GMT 2008

"Alexey Panchenko" <alex.panchenko at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.344.1204596764.1277.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
> On 3/3/08, Nick Radov <nradov at axolotl.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not everyone is using Eclipse. We would like to integrate the Eclipse
>> formatter with CVSNT in order to maintain a consistent code style
>> regardless
>> of which editor each developer is using.
>>
> If each developer have its own version of code - they will be getting
> merge
> conflicts if they modify the same file, diffs will be unusable, etc.

That would only be a problem if they reformat the whole file.

> It is organizational problem - so it is not correctly to solve it by
> technical means.

I think you misunderstood what I am trying to do. There is no organizational
problem.

> It would be better to do some of the following:
> a) document cod? style and publish formatter settings for most popular
> IDEs,
> so the user just import it.
> b) force all developers to use the same tools with identical code style
> settings.
> c) add some tool checking format rules (e.g. checkstyle) to the nightly
> builds.
>
> The triggers from commitinfo are executed befor? the commit, but I am not
> sure if it is supported if they would modify commited files. It is
> designed
> so it can just reject files if they do not meet some criteria.

It would be unfortunate if there is no way to do that within CVSNT. Oh well,
we are already considering switching source-code control systems anyway for
other reasons.