[cvsnt] Latest Updates - CVSNT 2.5.04 Build 3052 (RC6)and3055(RC7)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu May 8 21:08:31 BST 2008

Gerhard,

> It seems there was a misunderstanding. I was asking whether a
> script on the
> master shouldn't trigger a sync with all the slaves in case
> something is
> committed there, so that all slaves are updated -- rather
> than a script on
> the slave triggering a sync, which would only update a
> specific slave when
> there is a commit on its end, but not when there is a commit
> to another
> slave?

Yes you can certainly set it up that way, but that's beyond my personal
knowledge of rsync and unison.

I'd usually still setup the slave to do the sync because:
* two different sites using two different slaves are most likely going
to be either working at different times (timezone) or on different
branches or projects.
* the crontab based rsync will update the other slave in due course,
however if slave b does ANY commit then the rsync will update ALL
changed files using my default scripts - if slave b really is idle
enough for the worst case scenario (see next point) then the chances are
that it wont happen anyway since being that idle noone is probably at
location b.
* if person a using slave a and person p using slave b both checkout
hello.c 1.3,  but person a commits first, then within the crontab rsync
interval person b does update& commit the master will fail with hello.c
1.3 is not up-to-date.  Even though the commit failed it still triggers
the slave b postcommit which then does the rsync immediately.  Only if
this error is regularly appearing and causing loss of productivity would
I consider recommending switching to a 'push' approach.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett