[cvsnt] cvs [server aborted]: "add" requires write access to the repository

Tuan tusergroup at gmail.com
Mon May 12 17:15:36 BST 2008

Tuan wrote:
> Bo Berglund wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 May 2008 13:33:41 -0400, Tuan <tusergroup at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody know why I am getting this message and how I can fix
>>> it?  I checked out a module from my repository and when I try to add
>>> a file to the repository I get the following message returned to me
>>> and the command is aborted:
>>>
>>> cvs [server aborted]: "add" requires write access to the repository
>>>
>>> I am using Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build
>>> 2382 (client/server) with SmartCVS Foundation 6.0.7 as the client GUI
>>> front end.
>>
>> Obviously you don't have write access to the repository module where
>> you tried to add the file....
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> /Bo
>> (Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)
> Can you elaborate on this?  I am a member of the cvs group that has
> read/write/execute permission on the directory.  I also set up
> read,write,create,tag,control using cvs chacl.  What else am I
> forgetting here?  I also created a writers file and put my name in it
> and that didn't seem to do anything as well.
Never mind.  I was able to resolve the problem.  I had my user name
included in both the readers and writers file.  This prevented me from
having write permission even though my name was included in the writers
file. I found out CVSNT does this as a security precaution. CVSNT would
rather be cautious and deny you write access then to grant you all
access. Hope this information helps anybody else who wasn't aware of this.